Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Beginning

Genevieve would be 2 weeks old today.  It's hard to believe 2 weeks have already gone by in my haze of crying and disbelief.  I never figured I would be one of those unfortunate mothers who had to go on living without her baby.  Yet, here I am.

Before this happened, I never could understand how someone could do drugs or become an alcoholic.  I can now, and even though it is not an option I would personally take, I can see how amidst the sadness and vulnerability, the need to escape this life.

Grief should be linear.  Everyone has heard at least some of the steps, a person should be able to go through each of those steps and go right on to the next one.  Grief is more like a wave in the ocean.  Sometimes the sadness comes in little waves and as soon as you think you can handle those, a tidal wave comes by to knock you over.  Then the undercurrent drags you under and you are pulled out to sea of sorrow.

I've never felt so alone.  I carried Genevieve for 34 weeks.  We were literally together 24/7 and while I hated being pregnant, I absolutely adored and loved that little girl.  I never imagined someone so small could capture my heart and then suddenly be taken from my life.

I'm not the same person I once was, and I wonder what type of person I will be when I finally come out on the other side.  Will I like me?  Will my husband like me?  Will other people like me?  I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment